Thursday, July 12, 2007

Motivation and Boredom in Class

1. Identify 3 ways students go to school:
I believe the 3 most important reasons students go to school are to socialize with friends, to find a career path and a well-paying job and because they are forced to go. I think a lot of students wouldn't go to school if it did not matter where you would end up in society later in life. I believe most students understand that school will eventually lead a person to a more successful life, while some may see it as a waste of time. A lot of students want to go to school in order to be social with friends.

2-
As a critical teacher, you agree with the assumption that drawing connections between your lesson and the real world is a valuable classroom strategy. How can you verify or disprove that assumption? I agree fully with this statement, I think that connecting real life issues with classroom issues is a valuable asset to classroom learning. I think I will use this mostly in my Health classes when I try to connect issues I've seen or faced in life dealing with sex, health and drugs. Connecting life issues to my subject will be an important way to connect outside world to classroom learning.

3-
Question/prompt that probes reasons and evidence: Illustrate an example of making learning a "social thing" in your classroom: In my classroom I will try as hard as possible to have an open discussion, so students don't feel as if they need to raise their hands in order to speak. If a student has a point to say in the middle of me talking I will let them know that I have something important to say and they can say their point after I am done. However, I want my class to be an open discussion about every topic that is raised so students can always feel confident to speak up in class.

4- What would be an alternative to making learning a social thing in your classroom? I could have my students work by assigning them worksheets and questions. I can use intriguing questions to trigger their critical thinking. I can have them do research on a computer on a certain topic. I can also make them work on projects such as a poster or creating their own play. There are many ways of making learning in the classroom not a social gathering and still help students learn.

5-
What generalizations can you make about student motivation when a teacher genuinely cares about students and their progress? I feel as if a teacher truly caress about the students then the students will respond to the teacher's motivation. When students understand that teachers care about their overall progress then they are more likely to work hard in order to succeed. I feel as if students don't think their teachers care about them then they won't care about what the teachers have to say themselves.


6-
What does student motivation mean? Student motivation means a student's willingness to learn and participate in an educational setting. Student can show motivation in different ways. They can think critically and respond verbally to questions, or they can work quietly towards a project or work physically towards a physically challenged goal. Student motivation is a student putting effort towards their education and towards their success in school.

No comments: